Saturday, August 20, 2005

Urim & Thummim

It has been days since i wrote. I'd been wanting to though, but haven't found the time, since sch has started for me and i am not free as i was during the summer hols. Or maybe i have just lost the drive to blog.

Have been busy the past few days trying to settle my SEP forms. I'd just been allocated a place in University of California, Davis. Feels like an impossible dream come true. I remember only applying to try my luck, not expecting to actually get it. Try first and see how. Anyhow i am really thrilled at this chance of going abroad for 1 sem. The prospects of snowboarding with XT and Kenneth, spending christmas together and even celebrating XT's bdae with him over there!! Woah!! Hopefully, dirong and mike can travel down to meet us. Provided of course, that i will indeed make it there first. Hah!! Have been feeling rather insecure abt the entire business. Will the dream burst any time? With great expectations come great disappointment. I hope i dun have to face it, so i must prepare myself mentally for the worst. Somehow I'd wish they hadn't gone on so much abt all the BIG plans, over mike's "farewell" supper at geylang on tues. Even the talk of the Europe trip (or should i say Amsterdam tour, XT? *laffs*) fills me with such excitement and anticipation.

I feel so encouraged when i tell my frens abt the impending trip, Kenneth et all. XT said, "That's great!" Mike asked, "So wat's holding u back?" So after discussing with my parents, i've decided and submitted the forms. When one door of happiness closes, another opens.

Perhaps it is propitious that i should finish reading The Alchemist at the time my SEP chance came. Will the levanter carry the scent of my fatima?

~~~~~

Last weekend also marked the end of a show that i'd faithfully followed -- "谈判专家". I see the transmogrification of Peng-sir; from a domineering and so full-of-himself bigot - family feared him and wife had a tryst with his best friend, to a more humble, sensitive and caring man following his mishap. Initially, i watched the show with much skepticism and contempt for the main characters. Warped morals!! Bad egg Guodong!! 贱男人 Jaicong!! 该死的 Wenjing!! I would often mutter to myself. Haha.. its only a show rite?? But well.. they often mirror reality. Nonetheless i was being too self-righteous and judgemental(again!). I am not in their positions and thus could never really understand. Condemn the act but not the person.

One thing i learnt from the show though. That is one can always manage to counsel another person, but when the tragedy happens to oneself, oftentimes we can never break free from our despair. We will always 过不了自己那一关, and tend to 想不开!! However i am glad that the show had a generally happy ending, as do all shows!!

~~~~~

Probably another episode worth a mention here is the recent CORS saga. This was on Wed, when NUS students (like me) were supposed to register for our tutorial classess. As it happened, the server hanged throughout the day. Probably too many students were logging in simultaneously and the server was unable to handle the enormous number of requests. The result: plenty of F*&^!@#!! from the undergrads, inclusive of an online petition.

Amazingly, i wasn't angry with the CORS admin. I admit i was a little worried abt not being able to register for the tut slots i wanted. In the end, they extended the deadline for registration till the following day. But i couldn't understand why pple had to get so worked up over this whole affair and start cursing & swearing. This is not saying that we should silently subject ourselves to vindication, but can we afford to be more forgiving?? There are many more things in life to be frustrated by...

Okay... gotta go for MINDS liao. Its elections day today. Yippee!!

1 comment:

Cyrus said...

About the Petition: If the NUS student body wants to be taken seriously, they should not be bitching in a petition. They were basically arguing about Milo vans and NUSSU providing the best Milo. Immaturity at its very best. No wonder we get pushed around by the NUS administration. Sigh!