Friday, August 12, 2005

On happiness (& depression)

A good friend once told me that happiness is ephemeral. Period. Another, on his blog, expressed that depression is attractive. Whichever the case, they are opposite emotions that all of us experience throughout our lives. Like it or not.

Incidentally, the 1st fren also told me that being happy is the single most impt thing in life, and yet it is also the most difficult. What a cruel paradox.

There are some who say that u must experience sadness in order to appreciate happiness. Just like u cannot know hate without first learning love. I've pondered hard on this. Must we really go through the cycles of depression and joy? Why can't we be happy and happier then?

This is something i read from The Alchemist.

The camel driver: "When i'm eating, that's all i think abt. If i'm on the march, i just concentrate on marching. If i have to fight, it will be just as good a day to die as any other. Because i don't live in either my past or my future. I'm interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you'll be a happy man. You'll see that there is life in the desert, that there are stars in the heavens, and that tribesmen fight because they are part of the human race. Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we're living right now."

Maybe we only need to adjust our perspective.

I'm sure everyone wants to be happy. However i have to admit that being depressed IS a way to earn some concern from the pple around u. Sometimes we crave love and attention. It's always comforting to know that there is someone who cares abt the miserable u. That itself makes depression attractive.

Some pple like to be left alone when they are feeling down. I'd probably prefer that too. But sometimes ur thoughts just seem to run wild when u are all by urself. You tend to think too much and dream of the many "what ifs". What if i had done this? Have i tried hard enough? What if things turned out this way? What if... blah blah. Buddy i need a slap on the back as well, to wake me up to reality!!

I went for my 1st guitar lesson in church today. This friend Daniel, had been so kind to teach... for free!! Haha.. I think i can count on little things like this to make my day. Well, at the very least it kept my mind occupied.

2 comments:

Kenneth said...

Many contradictories in life, isn't it? =)

And well, it's hard to be happy and happier still, because, like most people, I believe that we always knows opposites. Rarely there is singularity in knowledge. =)

Happiness comes due to appreciation of the good times because one knows what it is like to be otherwise.

And yes truly, smell the air now and be contented of its cleaness. Don't be all paranoid about pollution to come. =)

And ah.. you know. My hands can do wonders!
It can slap you.
Or pat you.

jedi82 said...

haha.. thanks bro =P

i know i could always count on you!!

well.. but i do understand that we have to help ourselves for to others to help us =P

at least its heartening to know that u are around!!